1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying eggs in the dark!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bloom chicks, Dec 13, 2011.

1. bloom chicks

bloom chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Why are my chickens laying there eggs in the dark? This morning I went in the coop (before 6 am) to see who was laying before I was letting them out. My Red Rock was in her nesting box. Is that normal? Then, while I was sitting in there my BR girl jumped off the roost and wanted in a nest.

2. LaurelRidgeDreams

LaurelRidgeDreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Mountains of NC
    Same thing happened here this morning at 6 am. I went out to do morning chores, in the dark. When I turned on the coop light one of my RIRs was on the floor near the nesting boxes. She is just starting to lay and skipped yesterday. As soon as I turned on the light she jumped in the box and laid an egg. Three days ago I found an egg on the floor at 6 am. Might have been hers.

3. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    LOL, I figured it was Lady's egg! I just never saw her do it. I didn't think they laid in the dark!

4. geoff40

geoff40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Boonies, NH
    Just a few days ago, I went out-late-at sunset to give them their treats to help fill their crops for the night. It was after sunset, and I looked in nesting boxes, no eggs. Then I got distracted. It was a couple of hours before I remembered their pop door wasn't locked up. When I went to lock it up, there were 4 eggs in the nesting boxes.

5. ninabeast

ninabeast Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Upstate New York
    This happens to me, too. I've also had them laying at dusk, and finding their way onto the roosts on their own in the pitch dark. When ya gotta go, ya gotta go.

6. bloom chicks

Jun 6, 2011
    FL
    Quote:LOL Thank you... At least mine aren't alone in laying in the dark!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by