Laying eggs in the poop dish

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brijetterom, Oct 29, 2014.

1. brijetterom

brijetterom Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    My ladies have finally started laying. (1 at least). This is excited but she is laying eggs in the area under the roost where they sleep and where I have a "poop board" to chat most of their droppings.

Any suggestions? I have boxes for nest boxes filled with soft shredded newspaper. They don't seem to like it.

Should I rearrange the coop and move the nests to where she is laying it?

Thanks!

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Maybe you could remove the poop boards until they learn to use the nests? Place fake eggs or golf balls in the nests.

3. brijetterom

Jul 26, 2014
    I laid golf balls in the nest and no luck. If I move the poop board then there will still be an egg laid where they poop the most. :(

4. brijetterom

Jul 26, 2014
    I am wondering and considering of rearranging the coop will work. I am thinking if I take down the perch where she is laying the egg and put the nest boxes over there that might work…… Any suggestions?

Also, are boxes ok for nest boxes? I liked the idea that I would recycle them after a while when they get gross and start new.

5. collingwood

collingwood Chillin' With My Peeps

Yeah boxes are fine for nesting in as long as you change them!

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Is there anything you notice of why they prefer the roost area over where the real nests are? Can you post photos of inside the coop?

7. brijetterom

Jul 26, 2014
    The only thing I can think of if that that area is a bit darker, maybe more private?

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    If you mean the roost/poop board area is darker and more private, I think that's the key. They prefer privacy. I had removed my nest box curtains to try to get 2 broodies to give it up…After that all layers used only one nest..the darker one. I put new curtains up and they are all laying in the other box now. Have you tried nest curtains, I do think they work. Don't have to be extravagant, just something that offer some privacy and dim light.

9. brijetterom

Jul 26, 2014
    That makes sense. So here is my options, tell me what you would do. I can darken the other corner of the coop and remove the perch so that I can put the nest boxes (There are perches in both sides of the coop) OR I can remove the perch they ALWAY sleep on and put the nest boxes in that corner and hope the take up sleep on the other side of the coop.

Confused? I hope not

10. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Chickens really don't like change, although they do adapt quickly. I would leave the roost they are sleeping on alone and make the nest area you have more inviting?

Don't know how the poop board they are using is attached to the coop, but if you could add a slope so they don't want to sit that could help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by