Laying Eggs in the Run

alma.adele

In the Brooder
Jun 21, 2018
So I have 9 lovely little ladies who are finally starting to lay eggs! (HOORAY!!!) A few had had started laying about a month ago but stopped when the days got shorter. Now that they have a light in the coop, they are starting to lay again. Problem is, they can't seem to figure out where to lay them. Rather than laying in the nest boxes, or even in the coop at all, they are laying in the run.

Any advice?

I had some there for a while...until they got rolled into the coop, and then I found them in the run. I might put them back now that they are starting to lay again and see what happens.
If eggs, real or fake, are being rolled out of nest perhaps you need a higher front on your nests? Pics of nests would help us help you.

I have never used fake eggs. Possibly they find the light too bright. Hang curtains on the nest boxes.
I have never used curtains ;) :lol:

....but I have lights and fake eggs, 98% of eggs are laid in nests, even those pesky pullets.

I keep a fake egg in the nest boxes at all times. So far, no one's had any funny ideas about laying in the run.
I had some there for a while...until they got rolled into the coop, and then I found them in the run. I might put them back now that they are starting to lay again and see what happens.

My chickens are 10 months old and have always layed in the nesting area. Yesterday, I only had one egg. The day before 2. I had been getting 3 to 5 eggs a day. Figured the cold weather and shorter days were the problem. Today, I come home and there are 3 eggs in the run. There is straw on the ground in front of the run and they made a nest there.I haven't any broody hens right now. They are all running around acting normal but why would they choose to lay their eggs outside? I have 5 Silkie pullets and no rooster. I checked the coop for rodents and snakes. It is an old deep freeze. I added more pyrethrin. Fluffed the straw up some more. I clean out excess poop daily and clean it completely weekly. The run is enclosed and predator proof. The coop is open to the run. I covered it in hardware cloth and then clear shower liners. I am stumped. Is it just too dark maybe in the freezer?

Is it just too dark maybe in the freezer?
Could be.
Pics of 'freezer coop'...inside and out?
...and......
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-12-18_17-17-24.png

I am at a doctor appointment , but I updated my page. Thank you. I live in Kansas and in a rural area. We have one bar of service some times less out here so uploading pictures can take quite a while but I will get on it when I get home. We had our first ice and snow storm Sunday and the temps were below freezing until today. My chickens stay in confinement until I get home around 2 PM. I leave the house at 4:30 in the morning and we have plenty of predators out here. When I get home I let them out in my garden area which is also fenced in but not covered. They have a 40 by 50 area to run around in until dusk. They ran around in it even when it was ice and snow covered. I have had two broody hens but the rabbit hutch fixed that problem. Usually they all pile together at night. I have an alpha hen that sometimes will peck at one of the 2 lower chickens. I have not seen any real aggressive behavior yet. When I get home they are all waiting to get out. I let them out today and saw the 3 eggs in the run.

Back
Top Bottom