Laying eggs on coop floor after loosing one of our hens

myfarm30

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 16, 2015
We had a fox take one of laying hens we only had three so now down to just two. Since then the other two are laying their eggs on the coop floor. I had no issue before with them use the nesting boxes. I have three new pullets that will join them in a few months. I don't want the new ones to get into the habit of laying on the floor.
We also used to free range our hens but now they are confined to their run. Could all of these changes be effecting their behavior. If so is there anything I can do to fix this? I tried putting a fake egg in the nesting boxes since the hen that fox got always laid first but it didn't work.

PD-Riverman

Crowing
8 Years
Jan 14, 2012
Conway SC
We had a fox take one of laying hens we only had three so now down to just two. Since then the other two are laying their eggs on the coop floor. I had no issue before with them use the nesting boxes. I have three new pullets that will join them in a few months. I don't want the new ones to get into the habit of laying on the floor.
We also used to free range our hens but now they are confined to their run. Could all of these changes be effecting their behavior. If so is there anything I can do to fix this? I tried putting a fake egg in the nesting boxes since the hen that fox got always laid first but it didn't work.
Add a couple new nesting boxes with some soft hay and a fake egg in them!

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
8 Years
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
My Coop
What's the timeline on hen being gone and fake egg?
Can take time for them to adjust.

Top Bottom