Laying eggs on ROOST?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenWisperer, Sep 3, 2008.

1. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Well, since i got my two Wyandotts, Black Star and Sex Link poullets, I've been waiting for eggs....and finally, i got one! But, some layed it....on roost [​IMG]! They dont have shelves to sit on, their actually poles.....

Is this normal for a girl thats never layed before? The time after, she layed in a box. Her eggs are also very small, but im expecting that to be normal for their size....

Their have still been eggs laid while on roost.....the only girl that looks like shes laying is my GLW, her comb/wattles have gotten really red.....my SLW still looks like a juvenile and i cant really tell about my other two poullets.

Their also a nice medium dark brown....does that fit the description for my GLW?

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
    If you catch her in the act of grimacing to lay an egg, pick her up quickly and calmly and put her in a nest box. Sometimes they just don't get the whole nest box idea or they are just too lazy to be bothered to move.

You can try round rocks or golf balls or wooden eggs to act as fake eggs. The theory here being that the hen sees that someone else has "laid eggs" in the nest box and feels it would be a good idea to use it too.

Our Wyandottes lay medium to large size medium-brown colored eggs. The eggs do progress to proper size for the hen. Only the first few pullet eggs are smaller.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2008
  3. illinichick

illinichick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    SE Il
    My 5 month olds are just beginning to lay. I often find an egg laying in the middle of the coop floor. I think it takes them a few weeks of getting used to connecting that "feeling" to "Oops! I better get to the nest box". Sounds a lot like potty training.

4. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    It may be that she hasn't caught on to the feeling of "it's time to head for the nest box to lay this egg". But, is it also possible she's laying while it's dark out yet? When my girls first started laying this was the case and they couldn't see to get to the nest boxes. I cured this by putting a nightlight bulb (7 /12 watt) into the coops light fixture. Now they can see. My coop doesn't get any of the moonlight, yard light, or anyother light into it and that was the problem.

5. ChickenWisperer

ChickenWisperer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    KY
    Thanks for the replies, guys! [​IMG] Gave me some good ideas. Ive never caught her in the act of laying on roost, but if i do i will use that method! [​IMG] I know a whole lot of light doesnt get in; i'll try to find a light and put in there for em'.

Thanks peeps!

6. Jolyn

Jolyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2008
    Northern California
    I saw my RIR in the process of laying an egg today in the corner. I thought about picking her up and putting her in the nest box but wasn't sure if i should. Maybe next time i'll do that.

7. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    She felt the urge... [​IMG]

Don't worry, happens all the time. Often with "rubber eggs". Guess they just feel like a poop- and/or the hen is already in "roosting, cannot move" mode.

8. miss_inscan

miss_inscan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    Troutdale, OR
    Good luck with that.

My Bonny insists on laying from the roost. She threw such a fit the one time I put her in the nest when she was laying. That was the only time she laid in the nest, because I blocked her in there.

Sometimes we actually catch it when she drops it. She's not the brightest hen in the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by