Laying eggs on the coop floor

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by teria, Feb 19, 2016.

1. teria

teria Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2015
    Salem Utah
    I have provided four nesting boxes made out of 5 gallon buckets that my girls used to use exclusively with no problem. I moved them into a bigger coop, and they were still using the buckets. Then my younger girls started laying their first eggs in January and no matter what I did they refused to use the buckets. They laid their eggs on the coop floor. So, I put a couple of baskets with bedding in them on the floor, and off and on they used them,but, I am still finding random eggs on the floor outside the coop and several are insisting on laying their eggs in the corner of the coop on the floor in the deep bedding. I have put up curtains in the egg laying area to see if it was a privacy thing, but, nope, they are settled into laying on the floor.

Any thoughts?

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Maybe some fake eggs or golf balls to convince them to use the nests? Scratch out their floor nests whenever they make them?

3. Huggerlady

Huggerlady Out Of The Brooder

Feb 17, 2016
    WY
    Howdy Teria, I had the same issue after adopting 6 pullets. No matter what I did, they'd lay in a far corner and under the roost, ickie poo! I also have nice boxes with curtains. Finally!, I got mad and hauled bricks in and layed hog wire on top of those, (This was just under the roost). Also, I didn't fasten them down so they would be unstable, day 1 and 2 they were messed up from attempts to get back there but all is clean n easy now. Hog wire was handy, chicken wire would surely work just as good. Wish you beautiful handy eggs soon!

4. teria

Apr 26, 2015
    Salem Utah
    Tried both, no success. I may try the fake eggs again now that it isn't so cold out. Maybe the fake eggs got too cold and made them uncomfortable.

5. potato chip

potato chip lunch-sharer

I'm thinking they might still be getting used to it and they might be less "embarrassed" (yes, I know that's the wrong word) about it and start doing what the big girls do. They might just be getting used to the whole "laying thing" and getting comfortable with it? As they mature, they might feel that they don't have to hide in a corner by themselves to do their "business"?

Is that possible?

6. Raderby Ranchin

Raderby Ranchin Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    I'm no expert... But this worked for me.

1. Dark and secluded
    I built my nesting box inside where they sleep, but it's raised/elevated. It is dark. They only go there to sleep and now to lay.

2 . Ceramic/fake eggs
    I bought ceramic eggs but I've read people swear by golf balls. I randomly placed hens in the nesting box one at a time to investigate. Then left them there to make their way down. I was worried this wouldn't work but theyve been laying there.

I read from your post they are new/younger to the flock. Maybe creating a separate nesting box from the others and trying theses methods could work for you.

7. austrolover1

austrolover1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2015
    We used Easter eggs. That seemed to work. Also, my Austrolorps started laying their eggs in the floor but as the matured they started laying eggs in the nest. I don't know how they learned how!!!

8. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How many birds total for your 4 nests?
    My birds didn't like the buckets, too small.
    Keep fake eggs in a few of the nests all the time.

9. teria

Apr 26, 2015
    Salem Utah
    Well, I have had success getting them all to lay in the nests, except for my one, very stubborn little character of a Faverolle, Pipi.

I might have expected she would be the most stubborn of them, she is such a character.

Anyway, what I did was go to TSC and get two of their fake eggs. I had ceramic eggs but they were fairly large and didn't really look like their eggs, so, I guess either that or the cold temps in january chilling the ceramic surface was putting them off. I put the TSC eggs each in one of the four buckets we have for them. We also have two low and wide baskets, they are really for the turkey hen, but, the chickens have used them a few times as well. The next morning, bingo!! Everybody used one or the other of the two buckets. Everybody except Pipi who laid her egg in her usual spot on the floor. I'll keep the fake eggs in the two buckets they are currently using until they are fully adapted to using those buckets, and then I will put one in another of the two unused buckets to see if I can get them to accept them as well. I'm also hoping Pipi sees the others using the buckets and decides to give it a whirl.

10. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Great!! Golf balls work as fake eggs too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by