1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying eggs under the coop!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kocho, Aug 30, 2014.

1. kocho

kocho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    So we got our first egg on August 12th. We have been getting eggs pretty steady ever since. Our coop is built on a platform on top of logs. The other day my son found 17 eggs under the coop. 3 were scattered and 14 were together like they were nesting on them. I'm not worried about that as there's not a rooster in with them. Should I toss the eggs? It's Pennsylvania in August. Sigh. I hate to waste so many eggs, but who knows how long they've been there. How do I tell if they're any good?

2. McCluckles

McCluckles Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2014
    Small-town Ontario
    My Coop
    Unwashed eggs do not necessarily need to be refrigerated.
    As soon as they are washed, they loose a protective layer, and need to be kept cold.
    However, if you have doubts, I would leave them.

3. kocho

kocho Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2014
    I've been washing the eggs as I use them. I was thinking of doing the float test on those. But I'm not sure if that works. They laid under the coop again today. Then one of the chickens tried to nest on them. So I guess we'll have to block access to under the coop off. Just thought it would give them more room. But the kids won't be able to crawl under there for long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by