Laying eggs w/o squatting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennsPeeps, Nov 2, 2008.

1. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    How many of you found eggs and saw no squatting behavior?

<--- waaay impatient

2. gotchooks?

gotchooks? Out Of The Brooder

Jul 17, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    I have an EE who doesn't like me within 5 feet of her. She started laying @ 29 weeks 2 days...no squatting. Everyone else does and did squat.

I think squatting may mean a combination of things; submission, readiness to breed, and an invitation to a rooster...Regardless of what it means, my hens start laying soon after they start squatting.

Good luck!

3. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Squatting does not mean anything much in relation to laying eggs.

Squatting is an act of submission and a hen squatts to be mated - not to lay an egg.

Mating has nothing to with egg laying either beyond being fertile. Mating is not an indication of a hen soon to lay either.

4. TMNTCkins

TMNTCkins Chillin' With My Peeps

I have five hens that were given to us and they were not used to being handled they lay great but there is no squatting but we also can't touch them.

5. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    I had a hen... lay an egg while she was running out of the coop door. I have never seen that before.[​IMG] I also have a white leghorn..every time I walk up on her from behind she'll squat down like she would for a rooster to mount her. I find her funny!![​IMG]

6. Elly

Elly Out Of The Brooder

Aug 18, 2008
    I have five hens, four of them are laying now...the only one that squatted was a red sex link. She is so friendly though and comes running up to you all the time. The others never squatted, but aren't as friendly where I can walk up to them.

7. ChickenToes

ChickenToes Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    NE Wisconsin
    I only had one hen that would squat. The others never squatted, and they began to lay about 2 weeks before the hen that would squat.

8. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    Thanks for the clarification, MP. So many ppl talk about squatting -> egg that it sounded like it's a obligatory rite of passage. [​IMG]

9. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    None of mine squatted.....NONE. Then the other day, I noticed Miley do it at my feet. she is the babied one LOL.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by