Laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by blue fire, Jul 9, 2007.

1. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Can the redness of a hens face indicate when she is going to lay? Anyone have pics for examples?

2. alex

alex Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    im not sure about that. . .sorry.

3. joannamarie

joannamarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2007
    the hens comb is light pink and deepens to red when she is going to start to lay eggs again.
    is this what you mean? i have got one hen with chicks so her comb has gone back to being pink and i have 2 laying hens with red combs if you still want pics of the difference

4. blue fire

blue fire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Murfreesboro, TN
    yes pics would be nice. My chickers are goingto start laying soon and I just want an Idea of when to fix the nest box up.

5. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    here is my bantam pekin silkie as shes hatched chicks her comb has gone back to being pink
    [​IMG]

here is my other bantam pekin silkie which is currently laying
    [​IMG]

here is my old english game which is currently laying

[​IMG]

hope the pictures help

6. Dwightm

Dwightm Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2007
    Thanks joann. I din't know that myself. Great information!

7. San

San Chillin' With My Peeps

Hmmm then mine are still not in the egg laying fase yet because they have slightly red combs!

Cool pics by the way![​IMG]

8. ann

ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    ava,missouri
    Hmmm,then I have another young cochin getting ready to lay.Her combs are bright red.How long before she will start to lay.I notice the red combs over the weekend

9. joannamarie

Jun 17, 2007
    ann, i cant remember exactly how long it is but if the comb is bright red it could be any day, it certainly wont be long.
    get your best frying pan ready lol.
    ill have to wait a whole year before my 2 chicks will lay as i live in the uk so when they are ready to lay winter will be here so they wont till about may next year, cant wait too get big eggs as i am used to small bantam ones

10. ann

ann Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2007
    ava,missouri
    The young cochin is a red and in with a black cochin roo.This morning I noticed one of white rock hens has also a red comb and I know she is 4 months old.The cochin not so sure on age.Can`t wait for those eggs.The mixed hen that giving me a egg preety much everyday is wanting to go broody,so I could use another layer or two.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by