Laying Eggs....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by silkypie, Sep 10, 2009.

1. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    So one of my hens started laying yesterday... [​IMG] We didn't think she would lay for a couple days but when we went out back today she was back in her little box laying.

For my question: Is it normal for a rooster to show her where to lay her eggs? It's the strangest thing to us, since we have never had chickens before. She will follow our "lead" rooster to her little box and he will make sure she gets set then he will leave her alone. I think it's kinda cute how he watches over her.

Thanks in advance!!

2. SproutGirl

SproutGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Missoula, Montana
    Our rooster paces back and forth in front of the nesting boxes like an expecting father. He sings the egg song while the hens lay. It is pretty funny. Sometimes another hen outside of the coop will call back to him, and he won't be too sure about whether he should stay with they laying hen, or go the the hen who is calling to him. He will sing louder, and pace in and out of the coop like a nervous wreck until the egg is laid!

3. silkypie

silkypie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    Plant City, FL
    Quote:I just got my second egg from her. When she was done laying she starting squawking and both roos came running to her and showed her where some food was... it was so cute!

4. tallieb

tallieb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Arizona
    My Rooster will follow my girls around and watch them lay their egg then he starts crowing very loud telling them good job.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by