laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by redhead50, Nov 7, 2009.

1. redhead50

redhead50 New Egg

Nov 7, 2009
    my hens where laying know they have slowed down what can i do so they will lay more eggs:)

2. redhead50

redhead50 New Egg

Nov 7, 2009
    please give me soom ideas on how i can help my hens out , i jst thnk they got cold caus the weather here was really cold and my husband left the henhouse open .

3. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    As the day length shortens, so does egg production. You can light the coop to give them longer days, but if you really do not need the eggs, then let them rest.
    That what farmers get to do when it gets too dark to work.
    The long days of summer are hard.
    Long winter's rest and all.

4. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    Where do you live and what types of hens are they.
    They usually slow down, or stop laying when it gets cold and the days are shorter.
    You can put a light in their henhouse to give them about 14 hrs of light a day. But make sure it is very secure as you dont want a fire.
    Terri

5. redhead50

redhead50 New Egg

Nov 7, 2009
    i live in iowa and i have rhode island reds

6. Worn

Worn Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Chelan
    My hens have slowed down as well. It's typical when the weather gets colder. As someone suggested, 14 hours of light is essential for egg production. You're basically fooling their bodies into thinking that it's still summer. I believe that if they're awake 14 hours, their egg production goes up. You can buy a timer that you plug your light into and set it to go on and off at certain times. If you don't need all the eggs and you're still getting enough for your family, you can also let them rest as someone else suggested. Also, hens need to be 2 years or younger for the best egg production. Production goes down as they age. Good luck!

7. redhead50

redhead50 New Egg

Nov 7, 2009
    my hens are vey young but old enough to lay , we are trying the light system . i think that will help thanks.

8. numamahen

numamahen Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2009
    you can also use one of the new florescent lights... they won't get hot. Fleet Farm has the new "curly" type that also has a clear rubber coating on it so they are shatter proof. I put one in the coop tonight. They have had a red bulb but my girls were a bit freaked by the new bright light that we have on a timer now from 4:45 - 7 & then again in the morning at 5:30 to 7. We live in Minnesota, this will be our first winter with these girls. Last winter I had four banties & we used a heat lamp bulb when it got down to 10 degrees and lower. With that, we just made certain the light was extended from a chain & high enough to not burn the birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by