1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying eggs..

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by GIGI.07, Dec 26, 2011.

1. GIGI.07

GIGI.07 New Egg

Dec 24, 2011
    How many days will my hen lay eggs in a cycle?...I'm not sure if that's how to ask the question ...this chicken stuff is all new to me...lol...

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Every hen is different.

I have a Black Sex link hen that once went 93 days without missing a day laying an egg.

I have Ameraucanas that I'm lucky to get two eggs a week from.

3. jeslewmazer

jeslewmazer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 24, 2009
    Mississippi
    I agree that every hen is different. Breed, purpose, weather, and other factors can have an effect on this as well. I think in some reading they say a cycle is something like 25hours. This is not a rule, just kind of like a "rule of thumb". I have had some to lay every day at the same time, others that lay every other day, some lay later everyday for 5-6 days then take a break, and still others that lay randomly/sporadically.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  4. GIGI.07

GIGI.07 New Egg

Dec 24, 2011
    Wow...I think she's an orpington hen...bcuz I've looked at at all of the breeds and it Lookz just like her...see she's a house chicken n spoiled as ever n today she layed an egg on me..did not expect that but I just want to make sure I get a nest for her now that I know it can be dayz of her laying eggs...thank u for respondn...

5. GIGI.07

GIGI.07 New Egg

Dec 24, 2011
    Oh ok...I thought she wouldnt start layin eggs until at least 8 months bcuz my cousin raises roosters n she barely turned 5 months...I told her she's not a baby no more she's a lil big mama now...lol....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by