laying eggs

Ducks 2014

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 1, 2014
alberta Canada
Hi I'm a new to raising ducks, just started this may. My duck's are 21 weeks old and I just recently got a egg a day from 11 ducks. Can anyone tell me how to get them all to lay eggs? , I did find one in the pond? Was wondering if my finishing the inside of thier shed for winter is disturbing them. I try to do it in the day when they like to be outside.

If anyone can give me any tips on what else I can improve on in my duck pen that would be awesome. Thanks

Beautiful!

If that fence on the left is not within another fence that can keep predators out, I would add some metal hardware cloth - at least 2 feet up on the side, and coming out a foot or two from the base to prevent digging under. Some folks put heavy pavers along the outside edge of their fence, some bury fence, just something to prevent digging under. Predators will reach through or under the fence to snatch a duck.

My ducks started laying at 16 weeks, four days - that was the first egg. It took another 8 weeks for everyone to get on board.

Providing a safe home, fresh water, good food with enough Vitamin D and calcium, a balanced diet, decent bedding, healthy temperatures (like how you are getting ready for winter), and they should lay pretty well.

If you think someone isn't laying after another month or so, you can dab a little food coloring on the vent of the one you think is not laying and then check the eggs to see if they are stained - you know that one is laying.

Thanks, I did put the fencing about a foot deep to prevent peditors from digging in as well a row of raspberry bushes to conceal them from view. My duck's go in locked housing at night just at sunset, before coyotes, foxes start to hunt. As for winter here well. ...... it gets as cold as minus 40F degrees pretty cold, so I am insulating the house and in stalling heat lamps, my bedding is all most 2 ft deep right now. Plus I have a additional houses inside as pictured.

Back
Top Bottom