laying eggwhite only?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mama24, Sep 23, 2010.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    Should I be worried? I got my first chickens a few weeks ago. They've been sick and just started laying again. 1 has laid the last 3 days, but not yet today, and another laid yesterday. I'm pretty sure I know which they are b/c of the way they've been acting. The 3rd, the largest has been acting weird still. Not sick anymore, but just not acting like the others, no sure how to explain her behavior. She's less active than the others, lays down a lot, but she still runs around with them and seems to be eating normally. None of them has laid an egg yet today, but I just found an eggwhite, still whole, no membrane, no yolk, no shell, just sitting there by itself. Is it just b/c they're laying again after a break due to stress and sickness, or is this something I should be worried about? They are about 9 mos old, btw.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    When you say they have been sick- sick how? I ask because there are several diseases chickens can get that will affect their laying, sometimes permanently. I would like to say that they are just working out the kinks in the plumbing, but... until you know what they were sick with I can't really say that and be sure I am correct.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by