Laying emergencies

Lady Who

Songster
8 Years
Feb 12, 2015
Dawsonville GA
It all started this morning. I was doing class work with the door open and I hear my bantam squeak loudly so I got up to check and when I want out there everyone was quite and my bantam was standing in the middle of the run with a broken egg behind her butt. I ran over and picked it up and it was cracked and had blood on it and around the crack so I grabbed the hen and checked her butt to see if her made her protruding but everything was fine but it had egg whites on it and when I checked around I didn't see anything fallen off egg shell chips around her. So I'm afraid that it might be be in her bum. She just standing there now and not moving much (she might be tired)

Should I be afraid or something.. Or am I over reacting

Yesterday she try to lay an egg but she done that so many times so I didn't think of it..

The broody side was up and I checked all the chickens for yoke/whites on them and found none plus it just happen when I walked in

It looks like her egg is very thin-shelled. She might need some extra calcium from crushed egg shells or oyster shell in addition to layer feed. Having that available free choice is good. She may have a problem with her shell gland also. But I would give her some calcium for a few days (1/4 of a calcium tablet or Tums or the egg shells ground into a treat of yogurt.Broken eggs inside can lead to infections or egg yolk peritonitis later on. I have 27 hens right now, and 2 always have thin shells. Sometimes nothing helps.

Last edited:
Yesterday it happened again but a soft egg so we brought her in so we can get her to eat more calcium and highly in calcium foods

Back
Top Bottom