Laying Feed for roos?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenPeep, Aug 1, 2011.

1. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey everyone! This is a pretty simple question but my chickens will start laying pretty soon. We ran out of food and the food we stocked up on this time is laying food. I also have 2 roos however. Is laying food okay for roos to eat? If it isnt, what should i do? There is ABOSOULITELY NO WAY i would ever get rid of my buddy roos.

2. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hello people?!?! Not to be rude but id really like some help! Thanks!! [​IMG]

3. chickensgalore

chickensgalore Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    hillsdale,michigan
    all my roosters have always eatin laying mash

4. shuizar209

shuizar209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2009
    Riverside
    Lay feed is just fine. Just watch out they might begin to lay eggs. Joking. Sorry but you make it too easy. [​IMG]

5. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Don't Panic

Aug 13, 2007
    North/Central Florida
    They'll be fine.

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm new to the forum this year, but I read it daily, so I'll share what I did. My chicks are all different breeds, several bantams with large breeds and smaller breeds, along with a bunch of roos. They are 16 weeks now, so I changed them to Purina Flock raiser which is fairly close in ingredients to their old feed Start and Grow without the meds for coccidia. When they start to lay eggs I will offer oyster shell for calcium that the roos will ignore. That way if I have more chicks in the future, everyone can stay on this same food. It has 20 % protein compared to 18 % in their old food and costs the same.

7. ChickenPeep

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    Thanks for the advice everyone! i now feel good about what im doing!
    [​IMG]

8. Oneacre Homestead

Oneacre Homestead Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    I have always wondered about this too, but how could you possibly make the Roo eat some other food? I decided even if the layer feed has too much calcium there is nothing to be done.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by