Laying Feed

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2boxers, Aug 1, 2008.

1. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    I just began feeding my hens laying mash today. I have some hens that are fourteen months and were laying when I brought them home (lovely green eggs!). My bantams are five months old and no eggs.

So I have a few questions. I know I should have started my banties on laying feed sooner if I wanted them to lay, which I do. Is my delay in switching their feed over the reason they aren't laying?

Also, my bantams are hens, and I recently realized (though my magnificent powers of observation [​IMG] ) that five of my five RIR's are roos. So if a rir gets with a bantam (is that possible?) and fertilizes an egg and the egg hatches, what will I get?

I feel like I am asking the stupidest questions, but I honestly just don't know.

Oh...anybody want some free roosters [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Feed does not cause them to lay. You want layer when they begin laying since it's formulated with the proper calcium levels for layers.
    Bantams are not a breed, but a miniature chicken. A standard RIR with any bantam will most likely produce an adult bird a bit smaller than a standard breed. To know what you'd get, you'll have to know which breed of bantam. Even RIRs come in bantam size.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2008
  3. 2boxers

2boxers Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2008
    Halifax Co Virginia
    Well thank you very much. My banties are white silkies. I guess it's not uncommon for them not to lay eggs yet. I also may just be missing the eggs since they free range during the day. I love my silkies and would love to hatch some rir x silkies!

I reckon my hens are just on strike. They are molting, too, and I have read that this can cause them to stop laying.

No worries. They don't have to lay to earn their keep. They've already paid for their room & board a hundred times over in the sheer pleasure of watching them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by