Laying for a week and already broody?!?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Californichicken, Jan 4, 2010.

1. Californichicken

Californichicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    My girls JUST started laying, only 2 of my 6 girls are laying at all yet. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=280199
    I
    checked early this morning for an egg (my EE hadn't laid for 3 days and was acting funny) and there was a little brown egg, from my RIR. I grabbed it (still warm) and took it in the house. My EE headed for the coop so I took my son to school. When I got home, my EE is out in the run, I check for eggs, nice little blue egg and my RIR giving me stink eye from the nest box. I lifted her up to make sure she wasn't sitting on an egg somehow and she's happily incubating a golf ball.
    I don't want chicks, we're already full. I can't imagine a chick would do well in these little eggs anyhow. Is she really broody already? I opened the run door to let everyone free range and she's still sitting on her nest.
    Ugh.

2. Californichicken

Californichicken Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    By the way, if you check out the post I linked to, with the first eggs, the blue/ green egg was a double yolker, a small one, but double.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by