1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying from roost, NOT soft-shelled

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pixie74943, Sep 11, 2009.

1. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    Any reason A hen would lay from the roost? If they were soft shelled I could understand her dropping them without noticing, but why would she lay strong shelled eggs from the roost

Oh and even though I say strong shelled, they cracked when I put a board under to try and convince her to lay elsewhere. The shells are to strong to have broken from hen height, so it must have come off the roost..

2. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    I have seen my girls drop eggs right where they are without noticing them while they are free ranging. On occasion I find an egg under the roost. I think chickens really don't give a hoot where their eggs go sometimes.

Make sure your nests are higher than the roost, that usually helps.

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    I have a hen doing the same thing, not laying the egg, just dropping it. I am hoping as she matures a little she will start using the nest box.

4. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    OOPS>>>>> I meant make sure that the nest are LOWER than the roosts. [​IMG]

5. pixie74943

pixie74943 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Adelaide, Australia
    the nests are definately lower, on the ground actually. My Leghorn actually uses the side of the box as a boost to get onto the roost :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by