Laying from the roost and who laid it

Dcherie13

In the Brooder
May 20, 2017
So my girls are finally getting going! One of my Easter Eggers gave us our first egg three days ago and gave us another today and for the last two mornings we have opened the coop to find a broken, Brown egg on the coop floor right by the door. I know it is not unusual for a brand new layer to sometimes drop them in her sleep from the roost but is there anything I can do to get her back on a day schedule so she will figure out the nest box?

I am also going to post a picture of an egg and would love feedback on which of my pullets may have laid it. I have Rhode Island’s, Dominique‘s, silver cuckoo Marans and Easter Eggars. Several of them have given the signs that they are getting ready to lay so I am not sure who gave us this cute little egg!

Attachments

• 001D86AA-184D-4B40-A924-F7024324EF0C.jpeg
    001D86AA-184D-4B40-A924-F7024324EF0C.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 12
Normally chickens hold egg inside until morning. Many chickens are on a 25 hour cycle, although many seem to be an a 24 hour schedule since they lay everyday about same time. I have no idea how to train your chicken not to lay from roost. Maybe just not able to hold it and it just drops out??? . Try to entice all your hens to use nesting boxes by placing golf balls inside. Maybe your odd one may get the idea.
WISHING YOU BEST..... :thumbsup

When do you open your coop? And new layers often haven't mastered control of laying so it kind of just happens. Once she gets a little more mature she'll most likely lay where and when she should. :)

This morning we checked around 10am. Since they are all getting started I’ve kept them in the coop/run the last two or three days until late afternoon.

They have access from coop to run 24/7, I just don’t let them out
To free range the yard until later in the afternoon to prevent egg laying in the yard. We have 6 acres of woods so finding them would be next to impossible!

Do you have fake eggs in the nests?
Have they 'inspected' the nests at all?
Are the nests easy to get in and out of?
Pics of your nests might help spot any problems.

Here's how to tell who is laying and who is not.
Great time to start doing these exams is when your pullets first start laying.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/who-is-laying-and-who-is-not-butt-check.73309/

Yes theyve all been in and out of the nest boxes for weeks now. We’ve had golf balls in there. I’ve inspected my chickens numerous times over the last few weeks and almost all of them “fit the bill” but I think only 3 or 4 of them are actually laying. No egg on the coop floor today but no egg in nest boxes that matches the size answer color of the previous two laid from the roost.

Attachments

• 7EF176C9-01FD-4AD5-8986-27FA5CC60356.jpeg
    7EF176C9-01FD-4AD5-8986-27FA5CC60356.jpeg
    473.6 KB · Views: 12
Looks fine to me....it'll just take time.
Well, one thing...are those cracks letting in a stiff breeze?
Is it cold where you are?
Put your location in your profile?

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that's a dominique egg simply because it has those white spots on it.My dom had the same spotty eggs when she started. As far as the not laying in the coop,if the coop is safe and considered home the hens should return there to lay regardless of the size of their foraging area. I wouldn't keep them locked up to discourage egg laying problems until you're sure there are actually problems to discourage. :)

Back
Top Bottom