Laying from the roost?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chickcaan, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Chickcaan

Chickcaan New Egg

Nov 15, 2009
    Would a chicken actually lay an egg while roosting? Our two Rhode Island Reds just started laying last weekend. We've had no eggs in the next boxes - we left the first egg in there for a hint. I also dropped the nest boxes down the ground so they could just walk into them. No luck. The eggs are always underneath the area where all 8 hens are roosting. Three times now, they've looked like they were laid from the roost and splatted when they hit the floor. What should I do? All the chickens are 5.5 months old: two Rhode Island Reds, 2 Comets and 4 Araucanas.

thanks!

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

If a chicken lays from a roosting pole, the egg would probably break unless there is loads of bedding.

Try putting fake eggs in the nesting boxes, and it will encourage them that its a safe place to lay.

Good luck!! [​IMG]

Also, [​IMG]

I've just noticed you've tried putting their eggs in there for a hint, but becuase you probably had to take it out after a while, fake eggs would be more practical [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  3. chickenvirgin

chickenvirgin Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2009
    Blaine Lake, SK
    It took awhile for mine to figure out a routine. Sometimes the eggs where on the poop board( we thought they didn't know whether they needed to poop or lay an egg..LOL!) ,on the floor or in the grass but they all figured it out and now they all use the boxes. Give them time it will all work out![​IMG]

4. M To The Maxx

M To The Maxx Baseball+Girls=Life

Jul 24, 2009
    Lutz,FL
    Quote:To add to your post eggsrool, you could also use golfballs in the eggboxes too.

5. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Yes, well pointed out Maxx. Anything round will do that resembles the shape on an egg [​IMG]

6. Nostalchic

Nostalchic Chillin' With My Peeps

My young chickens have done this a few times, mostly when they first started laying, but I have deep wood shavings in the coop under the roosts (mostly so my heavy breed chickens will have a little softer landing, but also for insulation, etc) and the eggs have fallen but not broken. I don't think it's particularly uncommon, but they'll figure it out.

7. laruec

laruec Out Of The Brooder

Apr 4, 2009
    my 5 hens just started laying
    The 2 brown leghorns I have keep laying from the roost- I've only gotten 2 eggs from them that were in the boxes. A couple of my hens have laid soft eggs too, but that seems to be over.

8. kipper

kipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Our's just started to lay and are doing this, too. We hope they get the idea soon, too!

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Overrun With Chickens

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    I think I've had my turkeys do this too, the eggs were on the ground under where they roost but they landed on the soft ground and did not break, at least I think that's what was happening.

10. newchicksnducks

newchicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

My oldest bird has been laying for almost 2 months, but I have a varied aged flock. Some of the young ones are just coming to POL. In the past 3 weeks I've had 6 of 7 soft shelled eggs layed from the roost onto the droppings board beneath it. Only one soft shelled egg was found in the nesting boxes. All of the hard shelled eggs were in the nest boxes. With soft shelled eggs, I don't think they always realize its an egg and not just a big poop![​IMG] Hopefully, once their systems regulate everything, they'll be using the box and having nice hard shelled eggs:flf I'm giving them plenty of free choice oyster shell, along with Purina Layena. I also have put some ACV w/mother in their water. Good Luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by