1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying from the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ceceuu, Nov 9, 2014.

1. ceceuu

ceceuu Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2014
    I have 8 pullets born in March, my first chickens. Since the days have become shorter I have one or two eggs on the floor every morning before it gets light. One is always from the only red sex-link I have. Is this a normal seasonal transition problem? Just curious. I have read other threads about laying from the roost but just wondering about it - doesn't seem there is much I can do about it. I trained all the chickens not to sleep in the nest boxes when we first got them in the coop by going into the coop after they had roosted every night and moving the offenders to the roost. I have now tried to put the red sex link into a nest box at night but she will have none of it. Thanks for all your responses and the support of this amazing community - I really love BACKYARD CHICKENS - you all make chickens even more fun and interesting.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by