Laying goose gone mean

sarahconnor

Songster
5 Years
Jul 17, 2018
Good morning,
I have two roosters 27 laying hens, and a goose. This is her third time laying eggs but she is behaving much differently than before. She’s gotten very aggressive toward the other hens, and is ripping their tail feathers out and guarding the inside of the henhouse which is preventing other birds from laying. This morning when I went to the henhouse to open the door for them to go out to the covered yard, I found a hen lying there with some feathers torn out and I scooped her up and she was OK but I think the goose attacked her. I was thinking about putting the goose out in the yard and closing the door just big enough for the hens to come and go but to keep her out until 12 or 1o’clock. There are other spaces for the girls to lay in there but they always like to be on the floor and that’s where the goose is. She’s laid two eggs so far and I’m expecting a few more (she did 6 the first two times with no mean behavior)and then hopefully she’ll calm down but until then how can I keep everyone safe? I just stayed inside and observed them for a while and the one hen that I rescued earlier was in a box trying to settle down, but the goose came over and drove her out of the box. HELP!!
We have an Igloo in the protected side yard and I was thinking about moving her out there and not letting her into the henhouse overnight until Her egg laying hormones quiet down.

Last edited:
It's not uncommon for geese to become protective of their nest site during the breeding/laying season. In the arrangement that you describe I am surprised that this is the first season she has become aggressive. It may very well be necessary to separate her from the chickens until she is done laying. Good luck in resolving this situation.

It's not uncommon for geese to become protective of their nest site during the breeding/laying season. In the arrangement that you describe I am surprised that this is the first season she has become aggressive. It may very well be necessary to separate her from the chickens until she is done laying. Good luck in resolving this situation.
Thanks so much! What I did was moved her nest AWAY from where the others lay, and she has already settled down. You have confirmed my idea!

Back
Top Bottom