Laying Habits?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KaiyaandRachael, Jan 3, 2009.

1. KaiyaandRachael

KaiyaandRachael New Egg

Jan 3, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Hello we have five wonderful hens that have lived with us since May. One Rhode Island Red, two Aracana's, and two other chickens I have yet to find names for. All were consistent layers until about October and as of now we have not had an egg since then. They have been vet checked and are in good health, we have not changed their food, and they get fresh water twice a day. I have been trying to troubleshoot and hope someone here might have some ideas. Thanks!

2. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    is their combs red or pink? Are they loosing any feathers? They could be molting right now (they all do in the winter) just a thought

3. Mourningdove

Mourningdove Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2008
    Cleveland, Tn.
    BTW [​IMG]

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    It's the time of year. Mine, along with many others here, have been doing the same thing. I have read that if you add a light to the coop that will come on around 4 a.m. to give them extra "daylight", then that should fix the problem as long as they aren't molting.
    [​IMG] !!!

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    [​IMG]

Like gumpsgirl said, its that time of year !!! Chickens need 14 hours a day of light to lay !! You could add a few hours of light to the coop in the morning and night !! The cold weather doesnt help either !!

6. KaiyaandRachael

KaiyaandRachael New Egg

Jan 3, 2009
    Twin Falls, Idaho
    Thank you for all the posts! I am going to try the light/heat lamp and see how it goes. I was hoping it was probably the weather:) I did not realize that they need 14 hours of light to lay!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2009
  7. #1California Chick

#1California Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2008
    SF Bay Area
    [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC!!

Where do you live (you can put this in your profile -- it helps us to give better advice!!!!)????? The advice can change dramatically depending on where you live!!![​IMG]

Cindy

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by