Laying habits

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by crooked stripe, Jul 24, 2008.

1. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I find it strange that out of 7 hens at 23 weeks I only get 4-5 eggs a day. The one black australorp lays before 7 in the morning in the same nest box and the others lay sometime during the day. I have no way of pinpointing which buff orps are laying and they lay their eggs in all 3 nest boxes. With working during the day I can't check on them often. Is this a common thing with newly started layers? John

2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    that's actually pretty good, my hens lay every other day: 2 lay on day one and 2 lay on day 2. I got 16 eggs from these 4 hens in an 8 day period. Which, I'd say, is pretty good. Usually they don't lay every single day, some might, some don't. Just depends on the bird. I know I'm estimating that when my girls get into the swing of things that HOPEFULLY I'll get 5 eggs per 7 day week per hens. I've read that it takes about 25 hours for a hen to form an egg, so I don't think that's expecting too much!!! Even gives them 2 days off!!!

3. chickenlickin8

chickenlickin8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Valrico, Florida
    My Coop
    I have 8 hens and I'm only getting 2 eggs a day until the rest start laying. They skip days when they are young until their bodies produce eggs daily. I think the heat here in FL is slowing up the process.

4. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    I guess I should be happy with what I am getting. I am not disappointed just curious. I thought that once they started laying they would just keep going. I was also wandering why when a few buffs start laying the other buffs didn't lay within a few days. Same breed, same time. I hope this makes sence. John

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Some of my buff orps did not start laying until 28 weeks.

Give them time. At least you have the bright side of getting some eggs now.

Also every hen doesn't lay every day. The egg a day is a perfect world event. Some do but many don't.

I have a couple that lay only every other day. It is normal for them and it is their cycle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by