1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Laying hen has very red bottom

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by charden, Nov 16, 2009.

1. charden

charden Hatching

Aug 19, 2009
    My hen just started lying a couple weeks ago. She has a very red bottom, large area. I also have separated her from the rooster because she has claw wounds from his feet. I am treating that but am wondering if the red bottom is normal or has she got infection?

2. shaggy

shaggy Songster

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    Quote:chapped rear-end ?

3. charden

charden Hatching

Aug 19, 2009
    Could be. It was a little red for a while, now very red. I have treated the ground where she digs with poltry dust. I was concerned that it was connected to the scraps on her back.

4. charden

charden Hatching

Aug 19, 2009
    I stopped at the vet and he said give her anitbiotics for 7 days and treat for mits because of the loss of fethers and redness. So that is what I am doing for now.

5. shaggy

shaggy Songster

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i was thinking sulfur and vasoline

sulfur will keep the mites away and vasoline will make it stick and sooth any chapping

6. charden

charden Hatching

Aug 19, 2009
    OK thanks.

7. Dennis Robinson

Dennis Robinson Hatching

Apr 12, 2012
    A red hen had red bottom all winter . Now she is loseing fethers around neck. What do i do for her will others get this.

8. karlamaria

karlamaria Songster

Jan 30, 2011
    Western montana
    Check for mites/ lice. She can spread them to others.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by