1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying Hen: Insides Coming Out?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Aw-Ee Chicken, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aw-Ee Chicken Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    I have a hen (about 16 months old) who, I recently noticed, has her insides come out when she lays an egg. The first time I seen her do it was late August. She wasn't getting the needed calcium amounts and I thought that was the problem, at first.A thin lining of skin had covered the whole soft-shelled egg, and I guessed it was because the egg was soft and had nothing to push on.

But now she's been getting plenty of her needed nutrients and she's been normal from what I've been noticing. (Eggs hard and healthy!) Now today my brother spotted her in the nest, with clumps of blood and stool, just clotted in her butt. Blood was smudged on the walls and the leghorns couldn't help but pick on her. So I isolated her out and put her in a cage. She sits, and gets up and tries to push, then lays down again. She dozes often.

Does anyone know what the problem is, and possibly, a solution? My hen is very important to all of us, and I would greatly appreciate some guidance. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. boskelli1571

boskelli1571 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    It looks and sounds like prolapsed vent. If you have some Preparation H, vaseline or similar, put on a glove and gently reinsert the vent. While you are in there, check for a possible egg, if you feel it don't break it if you can help it. Massage her belly while she's in the water, she may pass it. You may need to put her in a warm shallow bath to get her abdominal muscles to relax for you. Prep H is best b/c it reduces the swelling.
    Keep her separated, keep hep quiet and in relatively darkened room. You really don't want her to lay again for a few days as the vent will likely push out again.
    If you have the ability and availability of a good avian vet in the area, I would take her for treatment. I'm hoping @Eggcessive will chip in on this one - keep us posted.

3. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    Thank you! I'll try that right now, and let you know on what happens.

4. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    I'm back! Kind of windy today.

I put her in the warm shallow water, used a glove with Vaseline on it, and carefully tried to push it back in. But it slowly bubbled out again. It's slightly crusty; would that effect anything? Would I have to go in further to see if anything's pushing it out like that? She's pushing too.

It seems the vent hole is stretched out. Her stool oozes from a small crease in the clump, and drips. She was eating yesterday and this morning, but she's not really interested in it now.

Do you think my hen would, if she could, survive with it out? If I could get her to eat...

Could you warm the mass and get it wet again, and then pop it in? Or would that cause problems?

We do have local vets, but none are specialized in poultry. Otherwise I would call him.

Please reply back (anyone) as soon as possible! Thanks.

5. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    You can certainly try repeated warm baths and reinsertion - do you have any Prep H? that might help. Somewhere I read about a woman making a 'sling' type dressing to keep it in. Let me see if I can find it, I'll be back....ok. I did not find a picture of the sling, but in a pinch a chicken diaper would do.
    I looked at your picture again - does the vent area look any better today - less swollen? is it still bleeding? Everything I have read suggests to withhold food for 24-48 hours to discourage her from laying. Give water with vitamins and some liquid calcium. If the area looks yucky or infected you might think about antibiotics. Keep us posted,

Last edited: Oct 15, 2015
  6. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    What is Prep H? It must be some kind of medicine cream?

Well, it seems the same size and it stopped bleeding. It clotted and crusted, and now it feels like hard gummy candy. How can you tell if it's infected?

Would you recommend any certain fluid antibiotics and calcium? I'll pick some up tomorrow in town.

I'll send pics tomorrow on how it's looking. You've been a great help; I appreciate it so much. [​IMG]

7. rides2far

rides2far Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2014
    Bakersfield California
    Preparation H is a cream for hemorrhoids. If you rub it on her vent, it might help shrink the tissues around her vent to keep it in place once you've pushed it back in place.

8. Brookliner

Brookliner Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Southern New Hampshire
    Honey also works if you don't have preparation H. Make sure it is clean. Use a rubber glove and lube it up with either the prep H or homey and gently work the prolapsed vent back into where it belongs. Keep her in the dark with water. Good luck. I have had to do this 4 times to get it to stay in don't give up.

9. boskelli1571

Mar 7, 2011
    Finger Lakes, NY
    Prep H is for human hemorrhoids [​IMG]. It works by soothing and shrinking the tissue. Stopped bleeding is good, infected tissue looks yellow/greenish, perhaps some blackened areas, foul discharge, smells awful. Calcium for sure, not sure about the antibiotics. I have never had to use them, but I wouls say something broad spectrum (kills all bugs).

10. Aw-Ee Chicken

Aug 17, 2015
    Crivitz, Wisconsin
    Sounds like the Prep H would work. Honey for back-up! :)

It looks so horrible; I think the white stuff is her poop? I'm going to try it again today.

Hopefully it'll stay in, and she gets better. Thanks all for advice!

Here's the picture of it now:
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by