Laying hen question?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chulke, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Chulke

Chulke Out Of The Brooder

Jun 7, 2011
    I have one hen that's laying out of 13 and she will not let any of my other hens get up in the coop or nesting boxes at all. She chases them out and even pecks out feathers! Anyone know what this behavior is all about? And how can I break it?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Sounds like she might be going broody. Maybe there are folks out there that can tell you how to break up a broody hen, I have never had to do it. I keep this link on hand incase it happens to me. Sounds like some good ideas on how to stop a broody. Good luck! [​IMG]

http://www.firehow.com/2010031510326/how-to-stop-a-broody-hen.html

3. Chulke

Jun 7, 2011
    Well...she's not staying on the egg or in the nest or coop per say, she just chases other hens out of the area...she makes them get out of the coop and nesting boxes even when there is no egg there....so I'm not sure what she's doing...lol!

4. poseygrace

poseygrace Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Georgia
    I'd put her in a cage by herself for a few days, which will give the other hens a chance to explore the nest box and maybe get comfy with it. Maybe by then she'll forget her bad behavior. She sounds ornery, good luck!

5. Chulke

Jun 7, 2011
    Thanks...didn't think of that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by