Laying hen releasing clear liquid when she squats?

iheartnh

Songster
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
Derry, NH
I have a 5 month old Buff Orpington hen who has been laying daily for about a week.

I noticed a few days ago, while she was in squat position and I had ruffled her rump feathers a bit, the she released quite a bit of clear watery liquid. She remained in the squat position for nearly a minute before getting up, fluffing her feathers and going about her business. I did not notice any odor to the liquid. I watched her for about 20 minutes after that for signs of illness or distress, and her behavior was normal - scratching around the yard, social, eating. I have not had a chance to see her poop, and honestly, when she laid an egg the following day, I set aside any concern.

Just a few minutes ago, I went out to the yard and got the squat line-up from several hens. Once again, the BO released some clear liquid after getting her rump-ruffling - considerably less than before, I wouldn't have noticed it if my son hadn't told me 'that chicken just peed or something'. Again, the hen remained in the squat position for some time, and again acted totally normal after rising and adjusting her feathers. I picked her up and felt around -crop and abdomen felt normal.

This hen has laid a perfect egg every day since I first observed her behavior, so I'm fairly confident she's not bound. I have not noticed any abnormal poop in the yard or coop. She does not appear to be in any distress, she is active and social. I'm not terribly worried, but I am very curious - a search for her 'symptom' steers me towards egg bound or internal laying, with one comment about a hen who leaked all the time and a fluid-filled cyst was discovered after she died at age 3.

Anyone?

Last edited:
Thank you for responding. I have seen the watery diarrhea when it's hot and the hens are drinking a lot, it just hasn't been that warm here (about 75-80, tops) and they haven't been drinking more water than normal.

This morning I inspected the shavings under the roost and didn't notice any large wet spots or abnormal poo. She also didn't release any fluid this morning when she came over for her rump-ruffling. She's quite the brazen little hussy - every time I enter the yard, she squats and flares her tail feathers.

I have three orps and are doing the same thing, clear liquid just from vent. It has been about 75-80 here. Are you putting any electrolytes in there water because I wasn't for a while. As soon as I did no more clear liquid. I know I kinda freaked out too, but the electrolytes really do help. Be careful w to many treats because the layer feed you get from big chain stores say that they are a complete diet.

Back
Top Bottom