Laying Hen---Stopped laying.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DylanNall, Nov 10, 2016.

1. DylanNall

DylanNall New Egg

Nov 10, 2016
    Hi, I have 5 six month old hens, 1 rooster, 1 ducks, 2 guinea fowl, 1 turkey, 2 four month old hens and 1 seven month old hen that we just got.

We separated her for a while and then introduced her correctly to the flock. On the first night we got one egg. And have not received an eggs since. She was already laying when we got her. None of my other chickens are laying. Is this normal that she has only laid one egg the first night? Any tricks we can use? She is completely apart of the flock and seems to be fitting right in. So there is no issues there. Any help or suggestions would be helpful. Thank you!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    She will resume laying when she feels more comfortable. Stress will make them stop laying. Being moved to a new home can be quite stressful especially if she wasn't with some flock mates that she's used to, she's all alone in a new home. Give her time.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Ditto Dat^^^

That first egg was 'in process' at her old home...she won't release another ova to create another egg for you until she settles in. Could be days, or weeks......or longer.

Oh, and, Welcome to BYC!

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Pecking order is strong with Birds......She will lay once that all gets settled.....A new Coop/Run and new routines are stressful....Chickens hate change....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by