Laying hen survived injury but swollen vent

Andipantshaschickens

In the Brooder
Jan 19, 2019
Hi everyone,
My hen Freddie is free range and she was attacked 2 days ago, but survived. She is eating and drinking, walking about, but not pooping. Her vent is swollen and pulsating. She only started laying last week. I'm hoping you can give me info on hen after injury and if that's normal. She is inside the house in our indoor quarantine area so nice and quiet. Her temperament is just as it was before she always wants to be held and sleeps right on my lap. I'm still worried she isn't out of the woods yet. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,
My hen Freddie is free range and she was attacked 2 days ago, but survived. She is eating and drinking, walking about, but not pooping. Her vent is swollen and pulsating. She only started laying last week. I'm hoping you can give me info on hen after injury and if that's normal. She is inside the house in our indoor quarantine area so nice and quiet. Her temperament is just as it was before she always wants to be held and sleeps right on my lap. I'm still worried she isn't out of the woods yet. Any advice would be appreciated.
What attacked her. Any open wounds.

It sounds as though she might be egg bound with a large or shell-less egg that is difficult to pass. Did she have any injuries in the attack, and do you know what attacked her? Insert a finger one inch into her vent to check for a stuck egg. You can do this while you give her bottom a warm soak in mild soapy water. She may poop in the water, but she may mot if she is egg bound. Give her some calcium, either a human calcium tablet, a Tums, or crush up some egg shell finely and feed it in some egg.

It sounds as though she might be egg bound with a large or shell-less egg that is difficult to pass. Did she have any injuries in the attack, and do you know what attacked her? Insert a finger one inch into her vent to check for a stuck egg. You can do this while you give her bottom a warm soak in mild soapy water. She may poop in the water, but she may mot if she is egg bound. Give her some calcium, either a human calcium tablet, a Tums, or crush up some egg shell finely and feed it in some egg.
Thank you, the vet said no baths till the wounds close up more. I can hold her and she doesn't seem bothered when i washed her vent. I will do that and check and give her the supplement. Thank you
Oh as for what attacked best guess is young raccoons

Where are the wounds and how bad? Do you have any pictures? What did the vet have you use on the wounds?Have you seen the vet already? Instead of a bath, you can place her on a heating pad on LOW and place a towel between her and the pad. A warm and humid spot such as a spare bathroom after some hot water has been run in the shower to humidify the room. The heating pad may relax her enough to pass an egg. Give the calcium, and check inside her vent for the egg. Let us know what happens.

Back
Top Bottom