Laying Hen with poopy butt

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Kotorix08, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Kotorix08

Kotorix08 In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    Maine
    I have a hen (Silver laced Wyandotte) that is just over 5 months old and started laying at the end of September. Today I noticed she has poop stuck to her fluff feathers. It's not super runny and when i went to try to clean it off, it looked like the vent itself was clear.
    As far as I can tell its pretty normal looking poo - it's not yellow and nothing was actively coming out of the vent. I attempted to clean it off a bit and was going to try to soak her bottom, but she was not having it and our rooster was getting annoyed.

Is this something serious? is it bad i couldnt get all the poo out of the feathers?? She is otherwise healthy (and fast!)

Thank you in advance!

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Enabler

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is probably getting pretty cold up north where you live, so a bath would need to be given indoors, followed by a blow dry before she could go outside. I would just pull off any dried poop, and if necessary trim of any excess on feathers. Just make sure that her vent is clear and not obstructed. It can be common to have some poop stuck, especially if they have eaten some wet feed. While down there part the feathers and look for any lice or mites on the skin between her legs. Lice eggs will look like clumps of white at the base of feathers, and can add to a poopy vent.

3. Kotorix08

Kotorix08 In the Brooder

Jun 2, 2019
    Maine
    It has been starting to get cold, but today is actually in the 50s. I took a paper towel dipped in warm water and tried to work out what i could without totally pissing her off. No signs of mites or anything. It was the fluff pretty far below the vent that was gross

4. CatWhisperer

CatWhisperer Crowing

Jun 16, 2013
    northwest Arkansas
    I had to bathe my silkie broody and blow dry her today. That was a first. If you don’t want her to go thru the winter like that you should do the same. My 6 1/2 month old was really good about the whole thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: