Laying hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by babygirl1222, Oct 3, 2016.

1. babygirl1222

babygirl1222 New Egg

Oct 3, 2016
    I'm new to raising chickens. We lost our rooster a couple months ago, grew literally flew the coop when we had some crazy weather. I don't keep them in a coop.the are free to roam the backyard. They have shelter where they sleep. So this morning I saw a hen was missing, I thought she took off too. I found her behind our garage just laying there. She wouldn't move. I went to pet her see if I could check her and she pecked at me really hard. I brought her treats and she didn't even touch them. She is 6mo now, haven't laid any eggs yet. Is she like this because she is getting ready? She won't let me touch her and the other hen goes with me to check on her. Can someone help me understand please?

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Do you think that she may have been laying eggs, but you have not found them? It seems what you are describing is broody behaviour. At that age, its not expected, but then, nature does its own thing.

3. rockriver

rockriver Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2015
    I had one go broody at 7 months and she hatched out 6 chicks

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    There you go - (almost) nothing is impossible!

5. chickens really

chickens really Chicken Obsessed

Could be illness ? Could be she will lay soon? Broody with out eggs ever.... sounds a bit far fetched too me......Pick her up and put her in the coop....Keep an eye on her....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by