laying hen...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by spoolin, Mar 2, 2009.

1. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i just got a hen for abot 2weeks now. and i also got a rooster that i have seen mate with 3 times, the hn now has 6 eggs but she doesnt lay on them. all she does is lay eggs in the nest, alk aound.
    anything i can do? maybe get a incubator?....any tips

2. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Well spoolin, some breeds have had the "broody" bred out of them in the interrest of egg production. Most of the white egg layers are this way. Assuming you have one of the heavy, brown or tinted egg layers, or one of the many bantam breeds, They do lay a certain number of eggs before they get the urge to brood. Sometimes they can be convinced to brood early, but it`s better to be patient and let nature do it.

3. jhm47

jhm47 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Hens usually don't go broody till they have laid at least a dozen eggs. That's the minimum. If a Leghorn or other "light" egglaying breed, they rarely ever go broody, and if they do, they usually don't finish the job.

4. spoolin

spoolin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    palm bay, FL
    i dont know what its called in english but in spanish it is ponedora.... which means a chicken that just lays eggs. is it possible my hen just lays eggs "for the fun of it?". she's the only hen that has laid eggs, she's about 1year old and has had chicks before. i also have some hens that are about 6-7 months old, are they old enough to breed?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by