Laying hens 2 years and older.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ravie, May 13, 2011.

1. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I am seeking some well-started pulled or POL hens. Someone in my town is selling 2-year-old BO hens. He wants 25.00 for 4 birds. I have heard that hens lay fewer and fewer eggs after age 2. Do you all feel this is true? Should I just look for something younger. Many of my current hens are broody and I am having a hard time meeting my egg orders.

2. abubakar4u2003

abubakar4u2003 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Hens don't stop laying after 2 years of age. It varies from breed to breed, but it is always better to start up with fresh and young hens who have never laid before to get maximum results. You can go for Rhode Island Reds. They are the best brown egg layers. 2 year age is too early for them to stop laying or lay less. I think u can go ahead and buy them if you can't find any young pullets.

3. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Thanks for your response. I might buy them. They're not far from me. Easy drive and quick fix to my egg shortage!

4. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

IF they are truly only 2 years old I would think 25.00 is a fair price for them.

I just don't know that after what I've read on BYC and the weird things I've seen people post on CL that I would trust a breeder or seller I didn't know. I lucked out in finding a local breeder who I do trust and his birds are expensive compared to others in the area, but it's worth it to me. You get what you pay for sometimes!

5. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    The "Mature" birds a friend bought were supposed to be 2 yrs old but they were so decrepit I doubt theiy were less than 5 or 6 if that young. Never laid a single egg.

6. ellie97

ellie97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2011
    I have 8 year old Silkies who lay 5-6 eggs a week each...

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  7. Ravie

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    Quote:Wow, that's amazing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by