1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying Hens and Broodies Are So Funny!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Shayna, Dec 16, 2011.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    I have a black silkie hen (Olive) that went broody recently. She stopped laying. I'm still collected an egg about every other day, which I knew had to be from the other laying silkie, Buffy. I was confused because I have to lift Olive every day and get the egg out from under her. The two laid eggs in the same nest before Olive went broody. I wondered, is Buffy slipping her egg in when Olive goes to eat or drink? But Olive doesn't leave the nest long.... Is she laying it next to the nest and Olive is rolling it under her?
    Nope, she just lays ON Olive!
    Mystery solved today - I got a quick cell phone pic, so it's not the best picture, but you get the idea.
    **Please excuse Buffy's dirty crest. She got muddy after a winter rain but it's too cold to be able to bathe her now.**
    [​IMG]
    Funny girls, they amuse me so.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    [​IMG] at least your nest is big. I have 2 ladies that do everything together.......and I mean everything!
    [​IMG]
    Neither of them are broody. Birds of a feather lay eggs together......I guess. Crazy chickens! Your Silkies are adorable!

3. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Quote:Cute pic of your girls! Yes, it is a large nest, they made in the corner of the coop floor. It's just a dip they made and arranged some hay around. They choose not to use the fancy nest boxes of course. I just don't understand why there is all that room, but they both have to use that same spot! Silly girls. You're right - birds of a feather lay together! lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by