Laying hens and chicken tractors

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hofcahs, Sep 15, 2016.

1. Hofcahs

Hofcahs Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2015
    Hello, We made a chicken tractor for our pullets, but now that they are laying I am wondering if we can put them in the tractor since it does not have a nest box. What do you think? I am concerned that they may need to lay while they are in the tractor. Thank you.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2016
  2. Rod-T

Rod-T Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2015
    Deer park, Washington
    Be best with a nest.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Add a nest box to it...Even a kitty litter box will work...

Cheers

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Nest boxes are nice. I use Rubbermaid tubs, they might be good for your tractor. The're light, you can move and clean them easily, and my hens like them. I either poke a hole and use baling twine to secure it to the side wall, or just tip it on it's side.

That said, lack of a nest box won't prevent a hen from laying. They'll just go in a corner and lay. But, the egg will be in sight and not in a protected kind of area like a box provides, and the other birds may easily step on it, or break it while scratching, etc.

5. Hofcahs

Hofcahs Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2015
    Thank you. I will have to see if I can come up with a way to make a removable nest box. Our chicken tractor has 2"x4" holes so if I leave the nest box in the tractor I think small critters may end up getting in it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by