Laying Hens Eating Grower Feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by NekhilG, Nov 27, 2017.

1. NekhilG

NekhilG Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    Hello Everyone!

I am still learning the ropes of keeping chickens so please bear with me.

I have eight hens and some of them are starting to lay. I don't have any layer feed. Is it okay if they keep eating grower feed of a little while (I just got a new bag of grower feed). What happens if I don't switch them? Also should I keep giving the other hens who are not laying grower feed?

Thanks,

Nekhil

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Flock Master

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @NekhilG :welcome

It's fine to finish your bag of grower feed. Offer oyster shell free choice for your pullets, this will provide any extra calcium that they might need.

Do you have a photo of the bag or label of the grower feed? Some of us use an all flock/flock raiser feed year round for our layers, pullets and chicks. A lot depends on your personal preference.

Since your girls are starting to lay, when you finish the grower, you can switch them to layer if that is what you want to do.

3. igorsMistress

igorsMistress Little doggies in tow Premium Member

Apr 9, 2013
    Phoenix AZ
    My Coop
    My older chickens are 9 months old and have never had layer feed. They get oyster shell on the side and I feed back their shells.

SunHwaKwon likes this.
  4. Patinas

Patinas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2017
    Washington
    I've never fed my 9 month old hens layer. I feed starter/grower with OS on the side and they are doing just great. I have no plan to ever put them on layer feed. I don't like the idea of forcing calcium in their diet since there are times they don't need the extra calcium so I trust the hens will eat the OS when they need it and so far, I've had beautiful hard shelled eggs from them so I know they are getting what they need without using layer feed.

5. SueT

SueT Chicken Obsessed

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    I feed Purina flock raiser to all ages, with oyster shell on the side.
    You don't want to give layer feed to those not laying, especially since they may not lay till spring. This happens with late maturing chickens when the days grow short.
    Feed is perishable, so definitely use up what you have before switching, if you do switch over eventually.

6. NekhilG

NekhilG Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    Thanks everyone for your advice!!!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Not quite so fast!!! What is the protein content of your grower feed? Here, it's only 15%. The absolute minimum for a layer is 16%. While 1% may not seem like much, it quickly builds into a deficit over time. Check your protein content!!!

8. NekhilG

NekhilG Just Hatched

Aug 1, 2017
    Victoria, BC
    18% Grower Feed

9. blackdog043

blackdog043 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 19, 2017
    Charlotte, NC
    I feed Dumor starter/grower 20 % with oyster shell in a separate container.

10. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE zone 4B
    Good. I don't understand why it's only 15% here.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by