Laying Hens eating medicated crumble Bad or Good ?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mynewbabies, Nov 15, 2013.

1. mynewbabies

mynewbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    My hens were out ranging and the door to the younger ones was left open in error and they ate the medicated crumble feed, does that hurt anything and is it ok to still eat the eggs?
    I wouldn't think so , it's not like a antibiotic feed, but see what you all think about it or has anyone else had that happen to them.

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Medicated chick feed usually just has Amprolium in it, (it should say on the bag), and there is no withdrawal time for eggs, so people just eat/feed them like normal. The feed shouldn't hurt the hens any, chick feed is just usually a little higher in protein than Layer food.

3. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

X2. It's fine.

4. mynewbabies

mynewbabies Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Harrington, Delaware
    Thank you for clarifying that , my husband was concern over eating the eggs. He can enjoy them again. Men can be stubborn . Lol.

5. Nonnie195

Nonnie195 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2013
    Tennessee
    Does it hurt the hen if that is all that she eats? My hen is about to hatch her chicks and I wanted to feed them medicated feed.

6. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    She will be alright. The chicks are good on that and they are a lot more sensitive to things then adults.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by