Laying Hens in South Texas! Production Reds and Black Sex Links!

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by danrut101, Jan 29, 2009.

1. danrut101

danrut101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    I will have some laying hens in a few weeks if anyone in South Texas is looking. I have Production Reds & Black Sex Links. Excellent layers of a large brown egg. Not sure on the price yet.

Can someone tell me what they are going for now. The last time I really sold laying hens was several years ago and I was selling for $7 each. So I'm hoping to get $10 each for these. I would love some feedback on the $. Too much? or just right?

Thanks,

Danny D

2. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    I sell my laying hens for $12.
    I raise them from chicks and know they are healthy. All have accurate records and are tagged. I don't advertise for sale but people find me and always want my laying hens. If they want them $12 worth then they can have them. I really am thinking of going up to $14 just to see if anyone wants them that badly. I have seen larger operations getting about $6.50 for POL.
    I also send a roo or two off with these folks. Hens need a roo, right? It helps keep my numbers down while also keeping my stress down. Too many roos really mess up free ranging flocks.
    I haven't sold any chicks yet. We are working on that this year. No one has asked us for chicks, only laying hens. I could have sold 50 more hens this winter if I'd wanted to really thin out. [​IMG]

3. warhorse

warhorse Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    danrut, where in south Texas are you located?

4. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    Quote:doh! I thought I remember replying to one of your posts before. Hmm... I may have to plan a trip to the coast sometime soon. [​IMG] It would be a nice daytrip, and probably only an hour or so from where I live. Are the only started pullets you have sexlinks and reds at this time?

5. danrut101

Apr 9, 2008
    I am also selling a few culled Silkies. Mostly reds. All pet quality, though. I am running an add now in local paper and have gotten bunches of calls on the Silkies, so they may be gone soon.

I should also have some more Black Copper chicks in 2 weeks.

Danny D

6. CountryMom

CountryMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2008
    South Texas
    Danny, I bought laying hens this past summer from a lady who was selling out and she was in Round Top. I paid $7 a hen and $5 a roo.... the roo ended up being a hen (silkie.) LOL Anyhow, I think she had her prices a bit low to move them out. And they were all stock directly from Ideal except for the Braggs Mountain Buffs. I am thinking of selling a few of our laying hens this spring and thinking $10 isn't so bad.

7. ltlchicken

ltlchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2008
    $7 is too cheap, especially if you're going to put an ad in the paper. the feed store by my house sells debeaked production reds and black sex links that are 4-5 months old for $9. i would definitely sell them for more than $9.

8. warhorse

Jun 15, 2008
    Cibolo, TX
    How many reds and SL do you have now and how old are they? I would be interested in, say, one red and five SL if they are close to laying.

9. danrut101

Apr 9, 2008
    My black sex links are only 10-11 weeks old. My production reds are 17 weeks old today. I have 50 bsl and 250 production reds. I know, too many!!!!!

danny d

10. danrut101

Apr 9, 2008
    I have a few Black Sex Links pullets left if anyone is interested. $6 each. They are 12 weeks old.

Danny D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by