laying hens near meat chickens?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by daviechik, Mar 12, 2013.

1. daviechik

daviechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Is there any reason (besides concern for quarantine) that you should NOT house meat chickens close to laying hens?

We ordered our first meat chickens and have 4 laying hens and 9 babies being raised up for our next group of laying hens (we had raccoons wipe out quite a few of our laying hens so had to replace with more) and they have been separated because of age more than quarantine concerns.

Is there reason to believe meat chickens will stress laying hens if in close proximity or put them "off lay"? The younger babies (9wks old) will eventually become part of our other 4 hens if they have them (they have accepted babies in the past) but if nothing else they are housed near each other. I was wondering how that works for meat chickens though??

2. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    You will be fine. The meaties won't stress the layers. Meaties are just chickens--big, kinda gross, eating machine, stinky chickens, but just chickens nonetheless.

We raised our meaties in a temporary run within our main chicken pasture, and everyone got along just fine.

3. daviechik

daviechik Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    great to know, thank you!

4. cinch920

cinch920 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2013
    Central Nebraska
    Yep, they should be fine! No worries!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by