1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickendoodle, Dec 1, 2007.

1. chickendoodle

chickendoodle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2007
    Beaufort S.C.
    I hope I am in the right forum for this.I just adopted two hens.I think one is EE and the other is what I call just a hen.They said the EE has laid green eggs before.That is what I was hoping for when we went and picked them up.Well, they have lived with us now for two weeks. They are well fed and get along with everyone else they live with in there coop.The only question I have is when will they start to lay eggs?I knew they would have to adjust to there new home but other hens that have come to live with us have laid within two weeks.Any help out there would be great.Thanks in advance.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    There is a possibility they are just not good winter layers. Lineage has a lot to do with that. If they are being bullied by other hens that will keep them from laying. Severe diet change can set them back for some time.

3. chickendoodle

chickendoodle Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2007
    Beaufort S.C.
    Thank you for your reply.They were never in a coop until they came to live with us so, I would say there diet has changed.All they ever had was cracked corn and anything in the yard.I feed mash,scratch and all my veggie scrap from the kitchen.I don't give them onion or garlic.I will put them in there own coop and see what happens maybe they are stressed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by