laying hens

chickendoodle

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 20, 2007
Beaufort S.C.
I hope I am in the right forum for this.I just adopted two hens.I think one is EE and the other is what I call just a hen.They said the EE has laid green eggs before.That is what I was hoping for when we went and picked them up.Well, they have lived with us now for two weeks. They are well fed and get along with everyone else they live with in there coop.The only question I have is when will they start to lay eggs?I knew they would have to adjust to there new home but other hens that have come to live with us have laid within two weeks.Any help out there would be great.Thanks in advance.

There is a possibility they are just not good winter layers. Lineage has a lot to do with that. If they are being bullied by other hens that will keep them from laying. Severe diet change can set them back for some time.

Thank you for your reply.They were never in a coop until they came to live with us so, I would say there diet has changed.All they ever had was cracked corn and anything in the yard.I feed mash,scratch and all my veggie scrap from the kitchen.I don't give them onion or garlic.I will put them in there own coop and see what happens maybe they are stressed.

Back
Top Bottom