laying hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by soctippy, Dec 22, 2007.

1. soctippy

soctippy Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2007
    hi all- well i have had chickens for about ten years now, and me and my mom are debating which large breed to get next for our laying flock. we currently have 5 older buff orpingtons that are not paying their rent this winter. It does get cold here in michigan, but we have many people who are asking for eggs. I heard that maybe, rhode island reds maybe what we are looking for, anyone have any other ideas?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    I got my Production Reds earlier this fall and they were laying like crazy until our recent ice storm. They are starting to produce again now. Overall probably the most productive layers I have ever owned especially in the fall and winter.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Welcome to BYC! I think most folks will promote their favorite breed, and I'm no different. I prefer Light Brahmas because they lay well all winter and have a great disposition. I know some breeds do better in cold weather states than others, and brahmas with their pea comb is one to consider.... Good Luck.

bigzio

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Right now everyday all 3 of my RIR's are laying, as well as my 2 barred rocks and 1 of my EE's (the other is broody sittingon a clutch)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by