laying hens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by BMD17553, Dec 4, 2013.

1. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    what kinda of laying hens in your opinion are best hens such as laying eggs, temperament, looks, and all around good pets? I have three right now one Rhode island red one orphington bluff and some mix breed rooster. (my profile picture) If anyone knows what kinda rooster he is let me know.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    The best laying hens that I've had have been my Wyandottes. They are pretty (especially the Columbian one), lay 6 eggs a week in the summer (and a good number of eggs in the winter), are docile and inquistive, and have an intricate, amusing personality. My Easter Egger is also a good laying hen, but she doesn't have quite the personality as my Wyandottes and isn't quite as good at laying.

You might have better luck with finding out what breed your rooster is if you post in the "What Breed or Gender" section. However, he looks like a mix of a Wyandotte or Buckeye and perhaps a Rhode Island Red to me. Its difficult to tell the exact breeds that a bird is mixed with, though.

3. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Hey Welcome to BYC!! In my opinion Buff Orpingtons are the best all around. Good layers very docile and in my case good for meat. I breed them and kill the cockerels for meat and keep the pullets for eggs. So a good all around breed I'd say. And they have a tendency to go broody so if you don't have an incubator and want some babies then you could possibly get some that way.

As far as the rooster goes, I'd say he's Rhode Island Red or Rhode Island Red mix. Just my 2 cents.

4. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    thank you for your input i will definitely look for those breeds when i buy my next birds.

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! X2 the Wyandottes and Orps are good winter layers and very pretty. I like the various red sex link crosses for pure egg laying ability, if you are looking to breed your own chicks, probably the RIR like you have are the most popular. The Henderson chicken breed chart compares a lot of popular breeds. http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html#j And don't forget to check out the BYCs Breed section for reviews of a lot of breeds by BYC members.

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Sex link crosses for laying or my all time favorites - leghorns.

7. handyman42

handyman42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 17, 2013
    Sardis, AR
    Black and Red Sex Links are good. I actually had some Blacks once that when I went out to feed in the morning they would wait for me to open the barrel and get a scoop then they'd fly up on my arm and eat right out of the feed scoop. Great layers too. My favorites are just Buff Orpingtons. Cuz I'm a dual purpose farmer now so gotta think practical.

8. BMD17553

Dec 3, 2013
    thanks to all i am going to consider all of the chickens you have all suggested

9. cstronks

cstronks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2013
    New Jersey
    My red sex link lays nearly everyday...she actually had an incredibly impressive streak going - She did not skip a day between May 20 and August 11. I wish I had 10 of them...maybe I'll get 9 more!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by