laying in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RockwaterFarm, Jan 30, 2011.

1. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    I have some pullets that are just starting to lay eggs. they are kept with my ducks so they can free range and can go inside the barn to lay whenever they want. the only problem is that the lay right where the ducks sleep so when ever i go to get the eggs theyre covered in poop. i have a nest box in there and put a coupleof frozen eggs in the nest box. the pullets will go in the nest box sit for a while then jump out to lay their egg. is there any other ways i can try so i can get my eggs where i want them. i havent had this problem yet with my other hens in a seperate coop, they seemed to know thats where they layed their eggs. [​IMG]

2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    [​IMG] my cochins and plymouth rock do that do NOT let them hatch if they poo on there eggs because it will in infect the chicks and then an egg will berst and kill the other firtil eggs [​IMG] i just put fake eggs under myn and do the switcharoo when they hatch u cant stop it UNLESS u put there nest box on a slop so they cant poo on them [​IMG]

3. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    and u cant make chooks lay where u want them to lay [​IMG] sorry

4. Jesseschickens

Jesseschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    somewhere in Pa
    Are you nesting boxes dark enough??? try moving a hen when you see her in the wrong place and stay there and keep her in the box. Frozen eggs might be too cold on her tummy. try golf balls instead. If you can get her to lay an egg there keep it there for a couple of days mabey the others will get the idea!!!!

5. Pinky

Pinky Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2008
    South GA
    I use the colorful plastic easter eggs and they work for me.

6. RockwaterFarm

RockwaterFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2010
    East Hartland, CT
    Quote:they started to lay in the nest box, ive found two eggs in the box for two straight days, so i guess you can make them lay where you want, i only showed one where to lay so that means she showed the other one where to lay, made my job easier

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is a good time to train them, when they first start laying. You might have to lock them in the coop until they lay (and hope they lay in the morning.) Mine don't always use the nest boxes, they free range, but they do always use the coop. I don't mind when they make a nice clean nest on the floor and lay there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by