Laying in new location

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Wizbop, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    I just thought I had lost one of my hens. I found her behind my AC unit. There, I found three eggs she was sitting on. I thought I had been short recently. She must have just started this. All the eggs I found sunk in cold water test. Do I need to put these in the fridge or can they stay out on my counter? I am a counter keeper. And, how do I get her to lay in the nesting box again? Block this area off? Somebody help me. . .

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  2. phaethona

phaethona Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Missouri
    yep, block it off and make sure to get any other misplaced eggs asap, she should go back to the box within a few days.

I have one who all the sudden decided to lay eggs under our bbq grill last week, turns out she was trying to gather a clutch and be a mommy, even without a baby-daddy around [​IMG]
    it made her mad when I took the eggs and blocked her off but she went back to the nesting boxes,
    me: [​IMG]
    her: [​IMG]

oh and I would just leave them on the counter if that's what you usually do, they should be fine still [​IMG]

3. Wizbop

Wizbop Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Greensboro, NC
    Mine don't have a baby daddy either. :lauThey sure did get mad and started making a lot of noise when I brought those eggs in this morning. :cdYa know, I wonder if that one chicken of mine (trouble maker, Ida Claire) is causing this. She's real bossy and likes to hog the nesting boxes. She pushes the other girls out. :smackTries to sit on their eggs after they lay and then fusses when they come in and she's trying to lay. I just wonder if they aren't trying to find a peaceful spot away from her ornery self. There's never peace with a group of women.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by