Laying in the roost

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken_ladyGA, Aug 17, 2008.

1. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    I bought new chickens yesterday. They are of laying age and are used to the nest box, so i gather eggs this morning and they layed on their roosting shelf its a old metal shelf they roost on . What is up with this ?[​IMG]

2. Finn

Finn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 22, 2008
    Burnett County , Wi
    Is the shelf is higher off of the ground compared to the nesting box,if it is you should get the shelf out of there because they'll take the high ground most of the time especially if its a wide flat surface.hope this helps.

3. chicken_ladyGA

chicken_ladyGA Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2008
    Chatsworth,Georgia
    Quote:yes the shelf was higher up than the nesting boxes , we took it out and made them some cute roosting rods from tree limbs , odd tho they tried sleeping on top of the nesting boxes but I moved them to the rods once it was dark , it is only the new chickens doing the odd laying and roosting [​IMG] thanks for the advice

4. simba49450

simba49450 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Michigan
    hi there

funny thing about chickens they will lay anywhere they want, none of mine ever used nesting boxes. just be thankful that it wasnt broke. lol

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I put golf balls in the nest boxes and so far I haven't found any eggs out of the boxes.

6. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Make sure you have enough nesting boxes.

Some of mine started laying in the corner of the coop under the roosting drop board where I had to take a rake to retrieve them. This was a result of too many broody hens, therefore, not enough boxes. I added a couple of temp. milk crates problem solved.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by