Laying in the sand?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by allig8r, Sep 25, 2007.

1. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

My 17-wk (NON-LAYING) pullets have taken to laying in the sand that is currently in their run. I move the coop and run every once in a while and right now, it's sitting on sand.

There are little wells where they sit--not sure if they're "welling" them out or what.

What's that about?? I've never seen them do this before--NEVER lay down on the ground. They're not laying on their sides--just sitting down as if roosting...? They've always been in the coop and have only been let out to free-range once/week so far (dangerous--lots of feral cats and hawks). They roost at night up in the coop on the roosting poles (I check on them! [​IMG] )

Should I worry? The reason I ask is because I just took away the regular watering can because I saw that at least half of them are using the bucket with the nipples that came with the coop. But I didn't see ALL of them do it and now I'm hoping that this isn't a sign of dehydration or something... I posted about this in the feeding forum but no response yet.

2. FrankBlissett

FrankBlissett Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    Seems normal to me. Chickens will normally dust themselves and will dig out little bowls in the process. After they get done dusting, they will often just lay there enjoying the day. I see it as a sign of a contented chicken.

-Frank

3. chickengirlnm

chickengirlnm Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    clovis, new mexico
    My girls can often be seen just sitting on the ground- not doing anything every once once in awhile I will see someone taking a little nap but I never worry about them just sitting there they are just relaxing and enjoying themselves normally after a good dust bath.

4. allig8r

allig8r Chillin' With My Peeps

Aaaaaahhhh...dust baths.

Okay. THANK YOU!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by