1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Laying in winter

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ChickenAcres, Aug 31, 2016.

1. ChickenAcres

ChickenAcres New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Alberta
    My chickens will be 20 weeks old in November. By then days will be shorter and I don't plan on adding any extra light. Should I expect a few eggs or nothing at all until the spring?

2. QueenMisha

QueenMisha Queen of the Coop

They may be a bit late to lay, but I'd definitely expect eggs before spring. I'd say they'll likely start laying between December and January.

3. PingoBags

PingoBags Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2016
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    From what I gather from reading through the forum, new chickens will lay through the winter regardless of using artificial light or not.
    The following winter you would either need to have light to keep production up or let them rest and molt without using light.

I guess that's one reason people have rotating flocks. Mine will be laying this winter and if I want to rest them next year, I'll need to get some new chicks this spring. I'll probably get or hatch some next spring regardless what I choose.

4. ChickenAcres

ChickenAcres New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Alberta
    Awesome! Thank for the info.

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

This is what I do...Only stating what works for me....
    I live in central Alberta and it gets very cold here...I heat my coop during the winter once the temp hits -10 C.
    I use a red 250 watt bulb...My pullets all start laying, and continue to lay all winter long.....I have a window in my coop so they get natural lighting during the day..I also regardless of the temp outside allow them out into the run...

Hope this helped...

6. ChickenAcres

ChickenAcres New Egg

Aug 26, 2016
    Alberta
    It does! I am in southern Alberta so the winter is going to be cold too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by