Laying in Winter?

chickenfever

Songster
11 Years
Jul 22, 2008
Arizona
I have 10 wk old chicks, born the end of July. I have been thinking all along that I wouldn't get eggs until spring, since it will be the middle of winter when they are getting to laying age. But reading some of the posts on here some of the people that are buying chicks now, are expecting eggs by Feb. Could I be so lucky to get eggs by then or sooner? Even if I don't put any artificial lighting in the coop? (not an option because no electricity to coop)

I'm in KY, I do not provide artificial light in winter, my hens lay all winter long, and young ones that reach maturity go right ahead and start laying, winter or not. I bet you'll get your mid-winter eggs, and the first ones will probably be tiny, but they'll very quickly start laying larger ones. Egg size increases in the 2nd year, as well.

frow.gif
I vote you will get eggs in Feb or March...thats still winter here and mine will mature at the same time as yours. I don't used artificial lights either and have had steady, good results...and I live in the mountains!

I first got my chicks at the end of July as well. I didn't expect them to lay till about 20 wks of age as that's what I was told, however, when that age came and went, I did discover that adding artificial light would help. They require approx. 13-14 hrs. per day to lay. So we came up with a spot for a simple household light that was to mimick the natural sun and in less than 2 wks, I got eggs. That was Jan. 2nd up here in Upstate NY. So don't count it out yet.

Quote:
Even if you hadn't added the light, you probably would've gotten eggs in another two weeks anyway. That's 5 months or 5 1/2 months, a normal time span to start laying. Some breeds take longer than that. Lay ages are an estimate, not all hens will start laying on the dot. Lots of variables will apply, like what they eat, etc.

Back
Top Bottom